Solar Car - Brake Connection Design/Manufacturing
Like Joseph Shy

Description:

Published: May 15, 2019 0 0 102
By: Joseph Shy, Cal Poly San Luis Obispo
Hashtags: #CAD #Design #Engineering #Manufacturing #mill #Project #RepairOperations #Solidworks #Teamwork

PROVE's Solar Car underwent a repair/"rehaul" to its Shimano brake caliper connections. The brake lines did not properly mount to all four calipers and required a new design for fastening/brake fluid delivery. My team and I decided to pursue a form of mechanical fastening for the brake caliper to brake line connection. The design consists of a 1/8 NPT (to prevent fluid leakages) hole with a 1/8" hole drilled concentrically inside the threaded hole. This allows brake fluid to flow from the brake line to a custom screw/o-ring fitting where a hole will mount the caliper to the brake connection with a Shimano brake screw. The measurements and tolerances were designed based off of the caliper and its spacial allowances. A orthographic projection was made, to where I performed various machining operations on the manual mill. I faced, filleted, drilled, and couterbored with the mill (while using edge/center-finders for accuracy). After the milling operations were finished, I tapped the threaded hole with a 1/8 NPT tap. My colleagues and I bled the breaks, assuring the o-ring and counterbore did not leak fluid. Successfully, PROVE's Solar Car now has a safe and reliable method of braking.

Tagged Teammates:

• Aaron Li