Truck Hood Drilling Templates: Daimler Trucks NA
Like Joseph Erdy

Description:

Published: May 17, 2018 0 0 451
By: Joseph Erdy, Cal Poly San Luis Obispo
Hashtags: #Automakers #Automotive #CAD #Daimler #DaimlerTrucksNorthAmerica #Design #DTNA #Engineering #Fabrication #Manufacturing #ManufacturingEngineer #ManufacturingEngineering #Mechanical #MechanicalEngineering #NX #Project #Prototype #SIEMENS #Truck #trucking #Trucks

This project was one of the many that I did during my time working at the Western Star Truck Manufacturing Plant for Daimler Trucks North America. DTNA at the time was looking to move some of its production of WST 4900 class 8 trucks to it's Cleveland, NC plant. I was part of the team to assist in helping gather information on how to build these trucks. Many of the tools used to build the trucks were undocumented. Some of these were templates that operators used to drill holes in the hoods to mount things like mirrors and brand badges.
The templates in use at the Portland, OR plant were crude pieces of hammered metal that someone decades ago had handcrafted to fit the hoods. Rather than try to replicate their work as tasked, I rebuilt the templates from scratch within Siemens NX 10, using Daimler CAD models as a reference.
After building the models within NX, I then built several iterations of cardboard prototypes in order to make sure my designs worked IRL. Once I was satisfied with my designs I had them outsourced to a machine shop for fabrication. I then shipped the templates off to North Carolina along with all the new documentation.